One of my favorite desserts to make sous vide is coffee gelato. It comes out perfect each and every time! Here’s my favorite recipe:
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cup (190 g) sugar
- 1.5 tablespoon (15 ml) instant espresso crystals, mixed with 1/2 cup hot water
- pinch sea salt
- 2 cup (360 ml) half and half (light cream)
- Fill and preheat the sous vide machine to 143F/61C.
- In a blender with an immersion blender, blend the sugar and egg yolks together until very thick and smooth. With the machine running, add the salt, half and half (light cream) and espresso and continue to blend for a minute to thoroughly mix.
- Pour the mixture into a big (gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch and use the displacement method to remove the air and zip the seal.
- Submerge pouch in the water oven to cook for 22 minutes. Pull the pouch from the water oven once or twice during cooking and agitate the contents, then return to the water bath.
- Remove the pouch from the water bath and quick chill, submerged in ice water (half ice/half water) for 22 minutes, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
- When ready to churn, transfer the custard mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to maker’s instructions.
- When churned, eat as soft ice cream or for a firmer texture, scoop into a freezer-safe container and store in the freezer for a few hours.